1. Buy a pair of Zebra Finches. (males have red markings on their cheeks, females don't)
2. Buy a cage, 18 inches (45.7 cm) long and 12 inches (30.5 cm) wide is good.
3. Have a nest. (A covered one will be best.)
4. Use a Tupperware container large enough two fit four finches in it, for a water container. (They will take baths in this also)
5. For food give them seeds, apples, cucumbers and grass seeds.
6. Put perches in the cage. (They should be thin as your finger and not too close together, otherwise the finches will just jump from perch to perch and not get enough exercise.)
7. Put nesting material in the cage (feathers, dry grass) they will put this in their nest.
8. If the female stays in the nest for a long time, she may have eggs. (The eggs will take two and a half weeks to hatch. Don't handle the chicks, they are very fragile.)
9. The babies will come out at around three weeks, and both parents will continue to feed them, until they are ready to be on their own, which around six weeks.
10. Congratulations! (You have raised your own Zebra Finch babies! Give yourself a pat on the back.)